Tagged: Barcelona

Barcelona jihadists intended to blow up Christian Basilica of Sagrada Familia

(BREITBART) — by Thomas D. Williams, Ph.D.

The Islamic terrorists who carried out a killing rampage in Barcelona earlier this week had plans to blow up the iconic Catholic basilica of la Sagrada Familia, according to new reports.

The Spanish newspaper El Español has noted that the jihadist cell had a stockpile of explosives at a nearby property in Alcanar (Tarragona) and intended to use three vans to detonate them in three different points of the city in order to inflict the greatest possible damage. An accidental explosion at the Alcanar estate on Wednesday left the terrorists without ammunition and forced them to improvise the vehicle attacks in Barcelona and Cambrils, the report states.

“They were preparing one or several attacks in Barcelona and an explosion in Alcanar stopped this as they no longer had the material they needed to commit attacks of an even bigger scope,” said Josep Lluis Trapero of Catalonia’s police.

The explosion killed one jihadists and left another in serious condition.

The prime target of the attack was meant to be the Catholic Sagrada Familia (Holy Family) basilica, an enormous neo-gothic structure designed by Spanish artist Antoni Gaudí, which draws huge numbers of visitors and pilgrims each day. Construction of the still unfinished church began in 1882 and is projected for completion in 2026.

According to reports, the terrorists had chosen the Basilica of the Sagrada Familia as their main target because it is a symbol of the city and of the Christian religion, as well as for the massive flow of visitors. During 2016, the church was visited by some 4.5 million people, and more than 20 million people came to view the structure from the outside.

[READ MORE]

Barcelona terrorists plotted massive butane bomb, hundreds targeted

(BREITBART) — By Liam Deacon

The Barcelona Islamist terrorists could have massacred hundreds more if their original plans had worked out, potentially including a deadly butane gas bomb loaded in a van.

Spanish police believe a cell of up to 12 were plotting to use a huge stash of canisters filled with the highly flammable gas in their assault on Thursday afternoon.

Josep Lluís Trapero, the head of the Catalan regional police force, said the attack was linked to a massive explosion, which killed two and injured 16, in a potential bomb factory just 24 hours before the terrorists struck.

Authorities believe the blast was caused by a person inside “preparing an explosive device”, Sky News reports. It is possible the terrorists accidentally detonated their stash and were forced to launch their attack early.

Joaquim Forn, a Catalan government official, also told a local radio station on Friday morning that it was possible the attackers had intended to use canisters in the attack on Thursday.

The blast occurred at around 11.15pm on Wednesday night in a housing estate called Montecarlo de Alcanar Platja, in Alcanar, in the province of Tarragona, south of Barcelona.

One person was killed and seven more injured including one seriously. The house was completely destroyed and the explosion heard miles away. Police said it was possible a second person was dead amongst the ruins of the house.

Fire fighters said more than 20 butane gas canisters were found amongst the rubble – far more than would be needed for conventional use of the substance.

[READ MORE]

Finland: Knife-wielding attacker ‘shouting Allahu Akbar’ stabs at least eight people leaving two dead

(UK MIRROR) — Two people have been killed and at least eight others hospitalized after a knife-wielding attacker went on the rampage in Finland.

Armed police shot the suspect in the leg after he began stabbing people in the city of Turku just after 4pm (6pm GMT) this afternoon.

As he carried out the terrifying attack, cries of “Allahu Akbar” were apparently heard – although many have argued on social media that the phrase sounds like “beware” in Finnish.

Police said tonight they cannot confirm if the man was shouting in Arabic and confirmed they are not treating the incident as a terror attack.

At least eight people – reportedly including a woman with a pushchair – were hospitalized after the rampage, with two receiving emergency surgery.

The incident, which has sparked terror fears, comes just a day after a white van mowed down crowds of pedestrians in Barcelona, Spain, killing 14 and injuring more than 100 others.

[READ MORE]

Second Spain terror attack: Police fatally shoot at least five suspects near Barcelona

(NY DAILY NEWS) — BY Jessica Chia Elizabeth Elizalde

Five suspects wearing explosive belts mowed down civilians in the seaside town of Cambrils, Spain, early Friday before they were killed in a shootout with police just hours after a similar terror attack in Barcelona, local officials said.

“The alleged terrorists were in an Audi A3 and apparently knocked down several people before coming across a police patrol and a shoot-out ensued,” said a spokesman for the regional government of Catalonia.

Police shot and killed four suspects in the town about 70 miles south of Barcelona. A fifth was injured and arrested before authorities confirmed the suspect died.

The suspected terrorists were wearing explosive belts, which have been detonated by the police force’s bomb squad.

At least six civilians and one police officer were injured, according to Catalan authorities. Five remain in the hospital.

Among them, one is in critical condition, two sustained serious injuries while another two are stable, according to emergency services.

Police say the suspects in Cambrils were linked to an attack late Thursday afternoon in Barcelona that killed 13 people and injured at least 100 others.

The region’s Interior Minister Joaquin Forn told local radio RAC1 early Friday that the Cambrils attack “follows the same trail. There is a connection.”

In Barcelona, a white van jumped onto a curb, swerved through the busy thoroughfare and struck pedestrians at Las Ramblas in what police called a terror attack.

[READ MORE]

TERROR IN SPAIN Barcelona attack – 13 dead and 80 injured after rented van ploughs into Las Ramblas crowds – as ‘one suspect is killed in shootout with cops’ and another two are arrested

(THE SUN) — DEPRAVED terrorists have killed at least 13 people and injured 80 in Barcelona using a rented van which they zigzagged through a busy shopping district mowing down terrified tourists.

Cops have confirmed that two men have been arrested while another suspect has reportedly been shot and killed during a gun fight with brave officers in Sant Just Desvern – a small town just outside of the Catalan capital.

Cops clad in black and carrying machine guns were seen entering the Boqueria open-air market backed up by regular police armed with pistols.

Footage has emerged of terrified people being evacuated as police locked down and surrounded the area.

Police have confirmed that one of the vans involved in the deadly attack was rented by a man named as Driss Oukabir. According to local media, Oukabir is a Spanish national of North African descent.

The van reportedly drove through a security point hitting three police officers before starting its deadly rampage on Las Ramblas.

Police have confirmed that the van used in the sick assault has been found and had no explosives inside.

Spanish media reports that a second van was rented to help the attackers escape from the scene.

A huge emergency response rushed to the scene on the iconic Las Ramblas tourist hotspot at around 4pm today.

[READ MORE]