Tagged: terrorism

Kyrgyzstan: St. Petersburg subway bomb suspect ID’d

(USA TODAY) — Jane Onyanga-Omara and John Bacon

The suspect in a bombing in a St. Petersburg subway train that killed 11 people was identified Tuesday as a Russian citizen born in Kyrgyzstan, officials said.

The former Soviet republic of Kyrgyzstan’s State Committee for National Security said in a statement that it is cooperating with Russian authorities in the investigation.

“It has been established that an individual suspected of carrying out a terrorist attack is a native of our republic,” Rakhat Sulaimanov, the committee’s spokesman, told Russian news agency TASS.

The man was named as Akbarzhon Jalilov, born in 1995, TASS reported.

Dozens of people were injured in the explosion Monday in Russia’s second-largest city. A second bomb laden with shrapnel was later diffused at a busy subway station, Russian news agency Interfax reported.

President Vladimir Putin was visiting the city — his hometown — during the attack. There was no immediate claim of responsibility.

Putin offered condolences to the families of the victims and promised a quick and thorough investigation.

“Law enforcement agencies and special services … will do everything to provide a full assessment on what has happened,” Putin said.

[READ MORE]

Secret text message ordered the lone wolf to carry out London terror attack

(UK MIRROR) — ISIS fanatics used the secretive messaging site Telegram to call for a lone wolf attack on Parliament just weeks before Khalid Masood struck.

A Sunday Mirror probe has uncovered chilling messages in which jihadi masterminds urged terrorists to mount atrocities in the UK.

They shared an image of an IS fighter dressed like executioner Jihadi John, wielding a sword in front of Big Ben.

The illustration – headlined Fight Them – showed a fireball and a tattered Union Flag flying from a pole.

Just weeks later Masood, 52, plowed his car into scores of innocent bystanders on Westminster Bridge, killing three and injuring 50.

Then he rammed gates at Parliament and stabbed married dad PC Keith Palmer, 48, to death – before being shot dead himself.

Masood had been sending messages via WhatsApp in the moments before Wednesday’s attack.

[READ MORE]

New arrests as British police release photo of parliament attacker

(YAHOO) — British police said Friday they had made further “significant” arrests over the Islamist-inspired terror attack on parliament, as they released the first picture of the homegrown killer who left four people dead.

Khalid Masood, a 52-year-old Briton with a history of violent offenses but no terrorist convictions, was shot by police on Wednesday after a rampage through Westminster.

Two other suspects are in custody following searches at 21 locations, mostly around London, in the central city of Birmingham and in the northwestern city of Manchester.

The Islamic State group claimed that Britain’s deadliest terror attack in 12 years was conducted by one of its “soldiers” acting on a call to target countries in the US-led coalition fighting the jihadists.

Police said there was no further threat, but counter-terrorism commander Mark Rowley said they were trying to establish whether Masood acted alone “or if others have encouraged, supported or directed him”.

Released by police, the passport-style photo of Masood, who also used the names Adrian Elms and Adrian Russell Ajao among other aliases, shows a mixed race man with a shaved head and a beard.

Prime Minister Theresa May has said he was known to intelligence services as a “peripheral” figure some years ago but there was no warning of his plans to stage an attack.

At least 50 people from 12 different countries were injured when Masood plowed his rented car into crowds of people walking along the pavement on Westminster Bridge, before crashing the vehicle into the fence outside parliament.

Three people on the bridge died after being hit by the speeding car, then the attacker leapt out and fatally stabbed a police officer just inside the gates of the Houses of Parliament before being shot dead.

Rowley described the overnight arrests of two men aged 27 and 35 in Birmingham and Manchester as “significant”.

[READ MORE]

Jihadi terror manuals on how to use a car as a ‘tool of war’ for mass murder can be found in just two minutes on Google and Twitter

(DAILY MAIL) — Guides to mounting a car terror attack were available on Google and Twitter last night. The vile manuals were online despite widespread warnings that UK jihadists use them for training.

Fanatics are urged to deploy large vehicles as ‘tools of war’ before going on a stabbing rampage – the template for Wednesday’s atrocity in Westminster. Boris Johnson accused social media websites of inciting terrorism.

And Google’s YouTube video platform was found to be raking in money from conspiracy theories saying the London outrage was a hoax.

As the maniac behind the attack was unmasked as 52-year-old Khalid Masood:

The security services faced questions because he was known to police and MI5;
Home Secretary Amber Rudd denied failures but admitted: ‘One got through’;
It emerged MPs had raised concerns about the Commons gates Masood waltzed through;
Officials revealed that he was shot dead by a ministerial bodyguard, rather than by armed police;
Islamic State claimed Masood was its ‘soldier’;
Officers made eight arrests around the country;
The death toll rose to five when a 75-year-old man died in hospital last night.

Masood, a bodybuilder and violent criminal who claimed to have been a teacher, raced across Westminster Bridge on Wednesday in a hire car, smashing into pedestrians at up to 70mph, killing three and injuring 28.

[READ MORE]

Study: One third of young Muslims in France think terrorism is “acceptable”

(INFOWARS) — Paul Joseph Watson

A third of young Muslims in France think that terrorism is “acceptable” a new study has found, with the full report being delayed until after the election because it is not “politically correct”.

Findings of the study, which canvassed the opinions of 6828 high school students after the 2015 Paris attacks, were presented at a press conference in the French capital by researchers Olivier Galland and Anne Muxel.

The results are disturbing but not surprising given attitudes amongst Muslims living in European countries.

– A young Muslim is four times more likely to adhere to radical beliefs than a Christian.

– 33% of Muslim students consider it “acceptable” to “participate in violent actions for his ideas”. In other words, a third are sympathetic towards terrorism.

– 20% of Muslim students agreed with the statement that it was “acceptable to stand up for your religion with weapons”.

– 24% of those surveyed refused to fully condemn the Charlie Hebdo killings.

– 21% of those surveyed refused to fully condemn the Bataclan theater massacre during which 89 people were killed as part of the wider November 13 Paris attack that claimed 130 lives.

It is worth emphasizing that the percentage of young Muslims who refused to condemn Charlie Hebdo and the November 13 massacre are likely to be much higher than the numbers listed above given that those results are representative of the entire sample, and Muslims make up just 25% of the sample.

“When asked if these attitudes could be due to economic and social factors or a sense of victimization, the researchers responded that “membership in the Muslim religion is the most predictive factor,” notes Westmonster.

The results were “not very politically correct,” remarked French journalist Gurvan Le Guellec, while others at the press conference expressed concern about the timing, noting that the full report would not be released until after the election.

Left-wing newspaper Le Monde slammed the researchers for “opening Pandora’s box” by simply relating the facts of the study.

However, the results are in line with previous polls such as a 2006 Pew Global Attitudes study which found that 42% of Muslims aged 18-29 thought that suicide bombings were sometimes justified.

[READ MORE]

Islam in Australia: Teacher quits after primary school students threaten to behead her

(YAHOO) — Frightened teachers at a Sydney primary school have revealed students are showing signs of extreme radicalization at a young age, saying they have been traumatized by threats of beheading and other violent behavior.

Students as young as in Year 5 are making the threats and pressuring peers into reading the Koran at Punchbowl Public School in Sydney’s southwest, the Daily Telegraph has reported.

Documents given to the newspaper reportedly reveal that at least three staff members have taken stress leave, received counseling and been paid compensation after bullying from Islamic students.

One woman reportedly claimed it all got too much for her and she eventually had to quit her job.

She said the final straw was when she received death threats to her family from her year 5 and 6 students, with some saying they would behead her.

Prior to that she claimed she made a number of complaints in 2014 about some of the behavior in her classroom.

She said she was abused by students when she stopped them from hanging a Syrian flag in the classroom.

[READ MORE]

Orly airport: Man killed after seizing soldier’s gun

(RT) — French soldiers have shot dead a man at Paris Orly Airport after he tried to seize a weapon from one of them. An evacuation of the terminal was ordered after the incident.

An unidentified man tried to seize a firearm from a French soldier at the airport and shots were fired by the French military in the ensuing altercation.

“The man succeeded in seizing the weapon of a soldier. He was quickly neutralized by the security forces,” Interior Ministry spokesman Pierre-Henry Brandet told Reuters.

“We confirm that the man, who tried to seize a weapon from a soldier, has been neutralized,” the national police also told RT, adding that it would not disclose any detail immediately.

[READ MORE]

Germany terror threat: Fears ‘several suicide bombers’ will launch deadly attack today force closure of huge shopping center

(UK MIRROR) — Fears a group of suicide bombers will launch a deadly attack have forced anti-terror police to close one of Germany’s largest shopping centers today.

Hundreds of armed police have formed a ring of steel around the Limbacher Platz shopping mall in Essen.

Police have ordered the shopping center to stay closed due to “concrete indications about a possible attack”.

Police have released no information about the nature of the attack.

However, sources close to the investigation say a group of suicide bombers planned to attack the shopping center with bombs.

[READ MORE]

Gunmen dressed as doctors kill 38 in Kabul hospital attack

(AFP) — Gunmen disguised as doctors stormed Afghanistan’s largest military hospital Wednesday, killing at least 38 people in a six-hour attack claimed by the Islamic State group as it makes inroads into the war-battered country.

More than 70 others were wounded in the assault on the Sardar Daud Khan hospital, with explosions and gunfire rattling Kabul’s diplomatic district as dense clouds of smoke rose in the sky.

Medical staff hunkered down in the hospital wards posted desperate messages for help on social media, with television footage showing some of them trapped on the ledge of a top-floor window.

“Attackers are inside the hospital. Pray for us,” a hospital staff member wrote on Facebook.

Hospital administrators told AFP three gunmen wearing white laboratory coats began spraying bullets after a suicide bomber on foot blew himself up at the backdoor entrance, sparking chaos inside the 400-bed facility.

“I saw one of the attackers, armed with an AK-47 and dressed as a doctor, shooting at patients and guards on the third floor,” hospital nurse Abdul Qadeer told AFP.

“They shot my friend but I managed to flee… I had to jump over the barbed wire to escape.”

At least two other loud explosions — including what the defense ministry called a car bomb in the hospital’s parking lot — were heard as Afghan special forces launched a clearance operation that lasted around six hours.

[READ MORE]

ISIS vows to ‘shed blood like rivers’ in first threat against China

(DAILY CALLER) — Islamic State militants have issued their first threat against China.

In a half-hour video released Monday, ISIS fighters, members of China’s Muslim Uighur minority, who primarily reside in Xinjiang Province, threatened to return home and “shed blood like rivers,” reports the Agence-France Presse, citing the SITE Intelligence Group.

“Oh, you Chinese who do not understand what people say. We are the soldiers of the Caliphate, and we will come to you to clarify to you with the tongues of our weapons, to shed blood like rivers and avenge the oppressed,” an ISIS militant declared before brutally executing an informant.

The man was executed in the presence of children. The video also reportedly showed children executing spies.

The video was released by a militant division in western Iraq and shows life in East Turkestan. China has long warned that Uighur separatists affiliated with the East Turkestan Islamic Movement pose a growing threat and could join up with larger global terror networks.

[READ MORE]